UMC believes that strengthening of financial management and accountability systems of local governments is imperative for improved management and service delivery to citizens. UMC aids local government bodies with training, capacity building exercises and technical assistance to improve their financial management. UMC helps local governments improve municipal revenue generation and collection, supports reconciliation of financial statements, assists in reviewing financial management procedures for the local governments. The organization also handholds cities in bringing about accounting reforms and aids the transition from cash based system to accrual based accounting systems.
- Financial management assistance to the municipalities of Cuddalore and Nagapattinam cities in Tamil Nadu, India under USAID supported Post-Tsunami Reconstruction CityLinks partnership program
- Contributed chapters on financial management and accounting reforms in the Municipal Management Manual for Afghanistan City Managers
- Conducted Performance Measurement across 30 cities of India for the World Bank Institute
- Process benchmarking of property tax collection systems in cities of Gujarat, India
- Conducted training workshops on financial management and non-tax revenue sources for cities in India